Monday, August 16, 2010

Update

While I haven't updated this blog for a long time, I have still been testing poutine in Kingston. Particularly the top ranked poutine for quality consistency. And I have a few updates based on my observations

Small Fries:
This is one of my favorite poutine in Kingston, because of its generous serving size and unique hamburger meat gravy. This chip wagon prepares sandwiches and hotdogs and conveniently located right on the Queen's University campus. For that, many students and staff rush to this small truck for their lunch. However, when orders start to overwhelm the small kitchen in the truck, the quality of the fries significantly goes down. This is due to 1) the lowered oil temperature and 2) inconsistent cooking time -- sometimes, the fries are over fried, sometimes undercooked. So, my colleagues and I now avoid the lunch time rush when we get a poutine from this truck. Because the quality of fries can be inconsistent, I've had to reconsider my rankings.

Bubba's (downtown):
Although their gravy tends to be on the salty side, the fries are always good. I have had this poutine on several occasions and each and every time they have been good.

So, as Bubba's poutine has been consistently good I have to rank them above Small Fries. Bubba's poutine is my #1 favorite pouting in Kingston.

Congrats Bubba's!

**** digg it! ****

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fair and reasonable reevaluation of your favorite spots; any chance you'll ever do a comprehensive reevaluation of all locations?

I can only imagine the effect this would have no your waist line ;)

Unknown said...

(no=on?!)

Also - bring forth more reviews!

Poutine Puritan said...

Hello Paul,

I will have to reevaluate all of the places I have tried. Despite the amount of cholesterol I have consumed so far, my waist size has not increased! (knock wood...)

But I have only one liver, so it will take time to revisit the places. So please be patient :-)

Oh, by the way, I have 3 new places I have to try.

cookingwithali said...

Hey! Awesome blog! Do you know the name of the new poutine place that's opening up in Kingston on Princess and Division? Or when they're expected opening date is? I am crazy excited for it! can't wait to hear your review!