Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bubba's Pizzeria (King St E & Princess)

After a huge disappointment at Bubba's in the hub, I needed to try the original Bubba's poutine. This is where I have been told to get poutine from, so my expectations were high.

I have to admit that I did have a beer beforehand but I don't think it did anything funny to my evaluation. I am a professional poutine critique at this point. I only had a small poutine and right after I placed an order, I thought I should have gone for a large one but then I watched the guy fix my poutine.... he put some fries in a cup almost halfway then press down with cheese... then a ladle of gravy... then he repeated the whole process. Thus, there was a layer of cheese curds! What a deal... mmmmmm

Location: 349 King St E, Kingston, ON

Small: $5.95 (shown above)
Large: $6.95

They also have chicken and italian poutine, which I will have to try at some point.

Overall: this was a good poutine and I liked it. This is definitely one of the best poutines (in Kingston) but I think there is still room for improvement.

Fries: They were fried very well but not overcooked. This makes the fries to stay nice and crunchy and prevents them from becoming soggy with gravy. They were seasoned pleasantly. Fries alone were very good. My favorite.

Gravy: Dark thick meat gravy and A LOT AND LOT, yet not overwhelming. The flavor is pleasantly strong. Salty enough to have a satisfying punch but not too salty like the other Bubba's. Because the poutine here is served in a cup, gravy slowly drips down in the cup, coating fries with its deliciousness.

Cheese: A hidden layer of cheese (well, I saw him fix it so it wasn't hidden to me), so there was a lot of cheese altogether, which is a good deal. Although it wasn't the squeaky kind and very melty. I really like the hidden layer and the sheer quantity of it, and melty cheese is nice but i would have preferred the squeaky kind. Had it been the real squeaky curds, this would have been the ultimate poutine in Kingston.

**** digg it! ****


View Larger Map

No comments: