Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A&W @ YVR

I was in Portland Oregon for a conference (You should visit. It’s a clean and neat city) and was telling my friend Mr. S all about poutine while I was there. After a week in the States, something I had never expected happened, I had a huge craving for poutine. After being tormented at the Canadian immigration at Vancouver airport, my craving was just about to burst, and I was going through a dangerous withdrawal (With the withdrawal and jetlag, I was acting like a junkie… no wonder the immigration gave me a hard time). Luckily, I found an A&W at the airport food court. I ordered a meal and replaced the fries with a small poutine in order to ease my pain.

Location: Vancouver International Airport, Domestic Terminal, Departure level 3

Price: I don’t know how much I paid to “upgrade” the meal. Addicts don’t care how much they have to pay. We pay whatever to get what we want.

Overall: This is the second “fast food” poutine I had (BK is the other one). I definitely prefer this poutine to BK’s poutine. It was satisfying and everything was well-balanced. This might have been because I was going through a poutine withdrawal so it could have skewed my evaluation positively. By the way, I had to have their root beer (which I always thought tastes like toothpaste).

Fries: Typical fast food fries - very long and thin. However, they were cooked nicely. Crunchy edges and its texture were very appetizing. They were seasoned lightly with good flavor. But again, I prefer thick-cut fries to thin long ones.

Gravy: Light chicken type of gravy. It was very thick. The taste was satisfying with the strong consommé type flavor (if I remember correctly). Reasonably salty which was also satisfying. The combination of the gravy with the fries was just so good. The amount of gravy was a bit on the skimpy side.

Cheese: Semi-squeeky curds. The amount was good but I am sure it was pre-packaged for each serving. The biggest piece was about 1 cm3, so they weren’t terribly big. Nothing stood out to mention.


**** digg it! ****


View Larger Map

No comments: