Monday, May 11, 2009

Burger King

Poutine at Burger KingThe “encouraging” colleagues convinced me to try Burger King as the chain had started a star trek campaign, selling some apparently irresistible glasses. Not knowing their real motive, I thought they were genuinely encouraging me to try BK poutine. I should have known better, but at least I got a blog entry out of it.

Location: 400 Princess St
**the burner of the restaurant was temporarily out of order ,so they could only make deep-fried items. I got a deep-fried tender crisp sandwich, but later another colleague mentioned it could have been one of those “no more whopper” pranks. I didn't make a fuss**

Price: I “upgraded” my value meal, so I have no idea how much a poutine is.

Overall: The fries are just typical burger chain fries but the amount was reasonable. Cheese curds seem like a squeaky kind. The uniqueness of this poutine was the gravy. Overall, I would skip this poutine. Although it is satisfying and the unique gravy is really interesting, if I want good poutine, I would go somewhere else. According to the nutrition chart, this poutine has 740 kCal (with 41 grams of fat)… Holy Sh--moke (cf.,the Tender Crisp Sandwich was 640kCal with 36 grams of fat). Poutine is really lethal.

Fries: Typical burger chain fries. Slim and not satisfying compared to thicker fries. However, being fried in a large frier means the cooking temperature is well controlled and gives a consistent good flavor. Nice crunchy edges, etc. They seemed to be seasoned.

Gravy: Light and very “spicy”. I thought this was the chicken kind but according to the BK nutrition chart, this is vegetable gravy. The spicy punch is probably due to some kind of Worcestershire sauce or something similar to it. Satisfyingly salty. With the seasoned fries, it makes the poutine a bit on the salty side but not sickening.

Cheese: approximately 1.5cm3 good squeaky kind, although they do melt. I felt the squeakiness when I bit into them. This was probably what I liked the most about this poutine. The amount of it is standardized since each serving is prepackaged in a plastic bag.


**** digg it! ****



View Larger Map

1 comment:

MrPaul said...

The gravy was a nice departure from the standard chip-truck affair, and I agree that it's the only thing that sets this poutine apart.

Also, I think it might taste better if you buy it around 2am! ;)