Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bubba's Pizzeria (at Princess and Division)

I didn't update the blog for a while as I was not feeling too well and I didn't want to bias my evaluation (stuffed up sinuses affect taste and smell eh!). But now I am back. After evaluating the chip wagons around campus, I thought this was the time to test other places around downtown Kingston.

Bubba's Pizzeria , or simply Bubba's is famous for its poutine (ironically, I have not heard anything about their pizza. But for a longtime NY resident, any non-NY pizza sucks anyway). I've been told by many people "Oh, you have to try Bubba's poutine." There are two branches, one in lower downtown and the other is in the hub. The one I tried is the one in the hub, near the corner of Princess and Division streets

Small: $5.31 ($4.00 from 11am to 11pm)
Large: $6.64 ($5.26 from 11am to 11pm)


**by the way, I forgot to take pictures... I was too thrilled to get "Bubba's poutine"**


Overall, despite its reputation for a good poutine, I didn't like it much. First of all, for the amount of money you pay, the serving size wasn't too satisfying. Second, I found the fries and gravy to be sub-par. However, I'm sure the experience is much better when stumbling around drunk at 2 am.

Fries: VERY soggy. They weren't fried well. It's mysterious because the fries were fried right after my order was placed, yet they came out so soggy. They didn't have the nice crispy edges. I was completely turned off by it.

Gravy: Traditional dark meat gravy and it's very thick, and A LOT, which I really liked. However this gravy was sickeningly salty. After finishing the entire poutine, I almost felt that the back of my throat was salt-burned.

Cheese: Squishy yet melty at the same time. Not overpowering but good amount on top of the fries. It was well balanced. about 1.5 cm3


View Larger Map

2 comments:

MrPaul said...

After hearing of the ‘Great Bubba’s Poutine’ myself, admittedly from people at Queen’s, I stopped by just before noon to try one for lunch. This was about a month ago, but I remember leaving with a few distinct impressions; none of them were good.

The man behind the counter was cold, and didn’t say anything that could be considered a word. It was more a mixture of grunts and gestures that had the effect of making me feel unwanted.

The poutine itself was anything but inspired. I don’t remember the details, but your description seems about right. I knew this wasn’t something I would order again. To put this in perspective: I enthusiastically eat at Harvey’s or Wendy’s. I would not eat this poutine again.

It’s either a coincidence that we both found their poutine lacking, or perhaps their claim of being voted the best poutine was formed by polling the post-bar crowd who would willing eat anything fried.

Anonymous said...

I think the difference between 'melty' and 'squishy' cheese is: if the cheese is melty then it is probably not real curds (likely shredded mozzarella). Real curd doesn't melt well but does get squishy.