Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Small Fry

The Small FryLarge Poutine $4.00 at The Small Fry


I wasn’t going to get poutine today but after having some beer (don’t you love the British influence in Canada? People drink during working hours. Love it), I needed to get something so I almost compulsively got a large poutine.

The Small Fry is a chip wagon parked in front of JDUC building on Queen’s campus. I noticed that one of the menus says “Jimmy’s” and the prices of the poutines are identical to those of Jimmy’s that I already wrote about. Later confirmed by one of my colleagues that The Small Fry and Jimmy’s are indeed related.

Small: $3.25
Large: $4.00 (shown above)

Weekdays from around 9:30 to 3:30

Overall, this is my favorite so far because of the flavorful gravy and good cheese—and a lot of it. The only negative is how the fries were cooked but if I had been there during the busy lunch hours, I am sure the fries would have been better (although I don’t know if I would have gotten less gravy/cheese).

Fries: Some of the fries seemed to have been overcooked. Perhaps it was because I was there at soon-to-be closing time.

Gravy: A LOT! Small chunks of ground beef in traditional dark beef gravy, just like Jimmy’s. I didn’t notice this with the gravy at Jimmy’s (maybe because I didn’t get a lot of gravy there) but I tasted a hint of curry or some curry-esque flavor. Salty too… loved it

Cheese: Squishy and a lot of it. Again, just like Jimmy’s they were about 1 to 1.5cm3.


View Larger Map

8 comments:

Ian said...

You need to decide ahead of time the next you're going so I don't indulge in lunch... and I definitely think there should be branching out into more sophisticated poutines. But probably the next one you should try is Bubba's.

MrPaul said...

Another Take... Again...
==========================

Until your post, I didn’t even know this truck existed! The value of your endeavors has already become apparent.

For 4$ (tax included!), I had what amounted to a nicely above average poutine. From the fresh curd, to the pleasantly seasoned gravy, I enjoyed almost every bite. I say almost because the fries themselves were nothing special, so the few bites that didn't have gravy and cheese on them were unremarkable.

Fries: Although average, they were hot and freshly cooked.

Gravy: Ample portion of mild, well seasoned gravy. This certainly doesn't overpower the dish.

Cheese: Plentiful and squeaky fresh white curd, Can't ask for much more here.

I would definitely recommend this poutine. I think they really missed the mark on the fries though. A mild sauce like this left enough room for the fries to really come through, but ultimately they just couldn't stand on their own.

Jim Davies said...

That truck has the best poutine I've ever eaten.

Anonymous said...

Well today was the first day I tryed the poutine. My thoughts were for $4 it wasn't too bad, but seeing as how the Fries were hard it made it difficult to eat. The fresh curd deffinatly made this poutine somewhat good, the brown gravy had a nice taste to it and the little hidden onions didn't impress me too much

Over all i would give this poutine a 5/10

MrPaul said...

I also found the fries poorly cooked today. At least half of them were to hard for my fork to pierce, a logistical nightmare for getting gravy from the container to my mouth.

Still though, I've eaten the poutine from this truck 3 times now and I'm certainly not soured from one below-average order. I am just hoping it was an isolated occurrence.

MrPaul said...

I also found the fries poorly cooked today. At least half of them were to hard for my fork to pierce, a logistical nightmare for getting gravy from the container to my mouth.

Still though, I've eaten the poutine from this truck 3 times now and I'm certainly not soured from one below-average order. I am just hoping it was an isolated occurrence.

becky said...

With an aim to create a most accurate assesment of this fry, cheese and gravy combo, I am chewing as I type.

...ummm, chew, chew, chew...

The first bite made me go for more immediately, like bloggers before me I really appreciated the gravy soaked, curd piled, styrofoam-enclosed goodness.

I liked the random crunchy fries found near the bottom that the gravy did not seap too. They added another texture to the mix.

A few notes:

Small Fry truck service was friendly and fast.

Even the small was a good portion size for a meal and the cost makes it worth every penny.

Overall:
This particular poutine is a great treat for a cold wintery day.
Thanks to the Poutine Puritan

Anonymous said...

The Small Fry is also known as Little Jimmy's. It is his other truck. Same fries, same gravy, same curds. Same prices, same specials, same recipe (with bits of hamburger and onion in it). Yet somehow Jimmy's is lower on the list even though it is the same poutine. An interesting case of the placebo effect.