Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Pita Grill

The Pita GrillLarge Poutine $6.50 at The Pita Grill

After a few months hiatus, I’ve enthusiastically returned to reviewing more poutine. Well, once again, my “encouraging” colleagues convinced me that it was about time. I had a high fever this past weekend, so I guess I could use some “real food” rather than sugar water or orange juice (it seems to surprise people when I tell them that I had orange juice for dinner).

The Pita Grill is a Pita sandwich restaurant with the pizzeria style décor inside. I wanted to try their pita but did I have a choice?

Location: 383 Princess Street

Regular: $5.50
Large: $6.50 ($7.35 after tax: Shown here)

Overall: I have to try this poutine again. The fries were disappointing but it could be due to the fact that four people walking into a pita restaurant during the busy lunch hour ordering poutine (see below). I really believe, under better circumstances, this poutine would have been better. While the large poutine is comparable in size to a street vender’s large size, price wise, it could be a bit cheaper.

Fries: Not salted. We walked back to the lab from the restaurant (about 10 minutes or so) so that must be taken into consideration. The fries were a bit on the soggy side overall but the corners were overcooked yet pale. I think this was because they were fried at a relatively low temperature. (OK, 4 people walking into a pita restaurant and order poutines… if the fries were frozen, it will significantly lower the cooking temperature). It would have had a better flavor if the corners had been cooked crunchy and brown. The cooking oil seems to have done a lot of frying, which added some depth to the flavour of the fries. Points off for this.

Gravy: Dark rich beef gravy with some hint of different kinds of spices. Noticeable punch of something like Worcestershire sauce or intense consommé , which could be on the strong side to some people, but I liked the added dimension to the flavor. I could use just a bit more but it was good.

Cheese: A reasonable amount of very melty cubes, whose texture is similar to that of mozzarella. This was neither excellent nor bad.

**** digg it! ****



View Larger Map

No comments: