Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pita & Pizza Palace

Pita & Pizza Palace, Small poutineIt's been almost 2 months since I wrote my last review. Because I didn't update this blog for a while, some of my friends worried that I was deported from Canada. Nope, I'm still in Canada. (I was in Japan in December but didn't find any poutine)

Pita & Pizza Palace is a family run pizza parlor in the west end of the City of Kingston. I first heard about this restaurant from my colleague, and today my adviser took me there for a poutine. I think he desperately wanted me to update my blog.

Location: 1786 Bath Road

Small: $3.99 (shown here)
Large: $4.99

When I asked for a large poutine, a girl working there warned me about the size, showing me the containers. Quickly I switched my order to a small one. Even a small one is about the same size as many street vendors (Small Fry, etc)'s size. Large can feed a family.

Overall: This has become one of my favorite poutines in Kingston. It's on the salty side but it's definitely satisfying, rather than sickening. The volume and the general quality, along with friendly service were all a positive experience.

Fries: They were fried well, leaving crunchy flavorful brown edges, yet not overcooked. They were not seasoned but the saltiness of gravy compensated this. They were on the short side, and the longest piece of fry I found was about 2 inches or so. But more edges and ends mean more gravy to coat.

Gravy: VERY dark and rich traditional beef gravy. Pleasantly salty and giving a good satisfying punch. It was also thick so its deliciousness coats all the fries nicely. The amount was a lot too. Big plus!

Cheese: A good amount of shredded mozzarella (I think). Generally I prefer cheese curds but here, the amount of cheese was impressive. It was melting away and coating all over your fries just like gravy. If this poutine was allowed to cool off and the cheese hardened, you could lift the entire poutine with a fork. That's how much cheese you get with this poutine.

**** digg it! ****



View Larger Map

No comments: