Friday, November 28, 2008

Limestone Garden Grill

Limestone Garden Gril: Large Poutine $6.55My colleagues and I decided to go for lunch and we picked the Limestone Garden Grill (Website here). It's a cute restaurant located in between the Queen's campus and downtown Kingston. The place was packed when we were there, generally a good sign for a restaurant.

*Note* the last poutine I had was only 17 hours prior to this. I am seriously putting my best effort into this blog.

Small: $4.90
Large: $6.55 (I had a large)

Location: 175 Bagot Street

Overall: I thought that $6.55 for a large poutine was a bit on the expensive side. BUT, this initial perception was completely blown away with the amount of poutine they serve. It is GINORMOUS. This is, so far, THE biggest poutine I have ever had. I could not finish it. The large would easily satisfy 2-3 people. This is like a party platter. In terms of the quality of poutine, it was ok but nothing special.

Fries: They were fried in a light oil, such as canola or something like that, so the fries had the light flavor, which I actually liked. However, they could have been fried at a slightly higher temperature or for slightly longer to get the nice crunchy edges.

Gravy: Standard dark beef gravy. Nothing stood out to mention. There was a lot of it.

Cheese: A liberal (but not overwhelming) amount of shredded mozzarella, thus very melty. Again, melty cheese has its own goodness, but I rather have real squeaky cheese curds.

**** digg it! **


View Larger Map

1 comment:

MrPaul said...

I'm glad you didn't detect any strange flavours in the gravy, perhaps I wrote this one off too soon.

Another take
==============

It was my first time eating at the Limestone grill, and I was surprised by how simple the entire menu was. There was nothing to indicate that I’d be receiving anything other than your standard run-of-the-mill poutine. My $4.75 bought me a plate with dark-brown gravy, grated cheese and a generous helping of french-fries. Given the colour of the gravy, one might imagine that is was beef gravy; I think it’s understandable that I was completely surprised when it had a strong hint of tomato. When asked, the waitress admitted she didn’t know what was in the gravy – and I really didn’t enjoy it enough to pressure her any further on the subject.

Fries: Well cooked, but nothing special.

Gravy: Original Flavour, but worrisome when the waitress had no clue as to what it was made of.

Cheese: No real curd here, it was fairly mild cheese – most likely mozzarella.

Overall, prior to your post, I probably wouldn’t have ordered this one again myself. If indeed there was a tomato component to the gravy, as opposed to some sickly sour beef, then I’ll concede that it’s refreshing to see something a little different to set this one apart.